IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING AN EMERGENCY, DIAL 911 IMMEDIATELY
Are you safe? If you do not feel safe call 911, or someone you trust.
REMEMBER, RAPE IS NEVER YOUR FAULT!
- DO NOT SHOWER, BRUSH YOUR TEETH OR CHANGE CLOTHES. It may destroy evidence that could be used IF YOU DECIDE to report the rape.
- Seek medical attention even if you do not have visible injuries.
- Forensic Exam
- the purpose is to gather evidence (such as semen, sperm and hair) of the crime that has been committed.
- you have the right to have someone with you during the exam (friend, family, advocate)
- Exam: looking for physical injuries, pelvic exam, testing for sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy if necessary. Pictures may or may not be taken as evidence. Clothing that was worn during the assault will be collected and tested for evidence. The doctor or nurse will discuss treatment for injuries, emergency contraception & disease prevention. If you feel as if you were drugged ASK FOR TESTING
- Victim Advocate will discuss after care.
In the state of Florida the victim has 90 days to report an assault to law enforcement.
C.A.R.E.’s 24-hour Crisis Hotline: 941-627-6000
C.A.R.E.’s Sexual Assault Helpline: 941-637-0404
C.A.R.E.’s Englewood Area Line: 941-475-6465
C.A.R.E.’s Text Helpline: 941-499-8534
Florida Relay: Dial 7-1-1
VOICE/TDD/TTY: Dial 941-627-6000
Florida Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-500-1119
Florida Sexual Violence Hotline: 1-888-956-RAPE (7273)
C.A.R.E. Inc. is pleased to provide or facilitate accommodations, including American Sign Language interpreters, assistive listening devices, and alternative formats of printed materials, upon request from persons who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing or are living with disabilities.
Please request appropriate assistance from any of our staff.
The National Domestic Violence Hotline
National Sexual Assault Hotline
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
National Center for Victims of Crime
National Human Trafficking Resource Center/Polaris Project
Call: 1-888-373-7888 | Text: HELP to BeFree (233733)
National Resource Center on Domestic Violence
www.nrcdv.org and www.vawnet.org
Futures Without Violence: The National Health Resource Center on Domestic Violence
National Center on Domestic Violence, Trauma & Mental Health
1-312-726-7020 ext. 2011
Love is respect
Break the Cycle
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
Northwest Network of Bisexual, Trans, Lesbian & Gay Survivors of Abuse
ABUSE IN LATER LIFE
National Clearinghouse on Abuse in Later Life
National Center for Elder Abuse